Friday, August 20, 2010

Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin’s “Restoring Honor” Rally to Occur on 47th Anniversary of “I Have a Dream” Speech

Glenn Beck’s “Restoring Honor” rally will occur at the Lincoln Memorial 47 years to the day after Martin Luther King Jr’s “I Have a Dream” speech.  Although Beck claims that the rally won’t be “political”, rather “This rally will honor the troops, unite the American people under the principles of integrity and truth, and make a pledge to restore honor within ourselves and our country.”

Of course, wherever Glenn Beck goes, therein lies controversy.  There’s backlash over the chosen date – a date held very dear by Civil Rights leaders.  Some think he’s trying to undermine that part of our history, given his less-than-ideal relationship with the NAACP.

Beck said “It was not my intention to select 8-28 because of the Martin Luther King tie. It is the day he made that speech. I had no idea until I announced it and I walked offstage and my researchers said, New York Times has already just published that this is [the same day as the King speech] — and I said, ‘Oh, jeez.’ ”

Still, as the Atlanta Journal Constitution columnist Cynthia Tucker notes, Martin Luther King, Jr. wouldn’t have denied Beck his rally on that day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails